This Visit Brought To You By
Frequently Asked Questions About Barcode
(Please visit our Questionnaire Page to tell us about your interest in barcode.)
- What is a barcode? How does a barcode
work? How are barcodes printed? How are barcodes read? etc.
- Is there a glossary of barcode terms?
- How do I get a bar code number for my product?
- When do I need to put a bar code on my products?
- What is GS1, GS1-US, etc.?
- Do I have to join and pay GS1-US (in the USA) even if I just have one product
- Do I have to join and pay GS1 for internal uses like inventory
or other non-retail uses?
- A company is offering to sell me a single product number. Is this legitimate?
- If I change the size or formula of my product, do I need to change the
- How do I get a list of all the product codes and their respective manufacturers?
- Does the barcode number indicate the country
of origin of a product?
- My product has an EAN barcode. Do I need a UPC barcode to sell in the USA?
- My product has a UPC barcode. Do I need an EAN barcode to sell outside
- Does the barcode number contain the product price, age,
or store it was purchased from?
- How do I bar code books, magazines, CDs, and DVDs?
- Who invented barcode? What was the first
bar coded product? Where was barcode first used?
- Can barcodes be read upside down?
- Can barcodes be printed in color or on a colored background?
- Can I reduce the size of a UPC/EAN barcode to fit a smaller space?
- How can I identify what type of barcode is being used? Can you identify
a barcode for me?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of barcode?
- Where can I find market research or statistics
on cost savings, labor saving, accuracy, etc. for barcode systems?
- Won't RFID tags make barcodes obsolete?
- What barcode will let me store the most information in the smallest space?
- How small can I make a Code 39 or Code 128 barcode?
- What are the codes that look like a grid of hexagons or squares? What are
- Where can I get the specification for a particular barcode?
- How do I print a space, carriage return, tab or function key using barcode?
- How can I keep a barcode from being copied?
- Can barcodes be used with Word, Access, Excel, or Clipper for scanning
- Can Quicken or Quickbooks be used with barcode?
- How do I calculate the Mod 10 check digit
or the necessary check digit for a given code?
- Can barcodes be used in a web environment?
- Can I use a Palm Pilot, iPAQ or other PDA to scan bar codes?
- Where can I find parts to build a barcode scanner?
- What is the least expensive barcode scanner and where can I find it?
- Can I Read A Barcode Image Off An LCD Or CRT Screen?
- How Can I Use The CueCat barcode reader to read barcodes?
- Is there a glossary of bar code terms?
- If the scanner charges me the wrong price, doesn't the law say I get the
- Is there an artistic aspect to barcode?
- I want to have a barcode tattoo of my name, birthday,
etc. What should the barcode look like?
- Is there a hidden 666 in barcodes?
Still can't find an answer to your question? First, take
a second look at the questions to be sure your question is not already
answered. At least 80% of the email I receive asks questions that are part
of the FAQ. If you still can't find an answer, you can send me an e-mail.
You must use the subject "Barcode Question" or it will not make it
through my spam filter. I am willing to answer questions for free, but I don't
design systems or write programs at this time. If your question relates to
a patent matter (like you are being sued for infringement), I do consulting
for a fee. Please see my bio for details.
BarCode 1 is a registered trademark of Adams Communications.
Send comments and questions by e-mail to